The Comics Curmudgeon Community • View topic - Moved from "Vote early, vote often"

Moved from "Vote early, vote often"

All the fights that start in the comments on the main site will get moved here. If you wanna see folks go at it, grab some popcorn!

Moved from "Vote early, vote often"

Postby jfruh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:57 pm

# DuckLovinUSA says:
November 7th, 2006 at 12:44 pm

You crazy liberals. You who created conspiracy theories. “They stole the election, even after 5 recounts.” Or who can forget, “they are going to rig the new electronic voting machines to favor the GOP.” When all along dead people and illegal people tend to vote Dem. Long live the Duck!!
jfruh
Site Admin

Postby jfruh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:58 pm

# cheech wizard says:
November 7th, 2006 at 3:24 pm

185 - Ducklovin’ - Most people don’t realize it, but the 2000 recount conducted by the Florida Ballot Project found that Al Gore would have won a full-state recount. It was a more limited recount of select counties — sought because Katherine Harris et al would not allow time for a full recount - that gave Bush the nod. However, the so-called liberal media, including the Miami Herald and Washington Post, which were among the projects major sponsors, chose to emphasize in their reporting of the study that the limited recount would not have helped Gore, rather than the more pertinent fact that he actually won the state and rightfully, the presidency.
jfruh
Site Admin

Postby jfruh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:59 pm

# DuckLovinUSA says:
November 7th, 2006 at 5:46 pm

215 Thanks for proving my point…

I also find it very amazing that it is never conservatives who bring race into an issue, but the real haters on the left. As I recall the only member of the Senate to have actually belonged to the KKK is a Democrat from Virginia.
jfruh
Site Admin

# Davey says:
November 7th, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Off topic — but hey DucklovinUSA, you jackass — West Virginia is not in Virginia, it’s a legitimate separate state. I believe you’re referring to Robert Byrd, are you not?

Virginia, on the other hand, has a Republican senator from California with an unhealthy obsession with the Confederate flag, who displays a noose in his office and assaults constituents with racial epithets. Or does that not count as “bring[ing] race into an issue”?
jfruh
Site Admin

# ben says:
November 7th, 2006 at 5:54 pm

240, you don’t find it amazing, because it’s not true.

Byrd has disavowed his membership of the KKK. A whole horde of Republicans, from Trent Lott (who stockpiled weapons in his frat room when U-Miss was being integrated over his objections) to Orrin Hatch (who is a member of a religion that explicitly wrote racism into its texts) to Strom Thurmond (who left the Democratic party when they disavowed segregation) have never done any such thing and continue to wave the stars and bars about and address the (renamed) White Citizens Councils. What you say is 180-degrees opposed to the simple facts.
jfruh
Site Admin

Postby jfruh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:01 pm

# Concerned Citizen says:
November 7th, 2006 at 5:56 pm e

240 - To say that a Democrat from Virginia in the early to mid 20th century was a lefty shows a remarkable amount of ignorance. Of course, this sort of factoid plays in MF land.
jfruh
Site Admin

# MonkeyHawk says:
November 7th, 2006 at 5:58 pm e

Actually, DuckFuckerUSA, it’s *West* Virginia. And he renounced his KKK membership long before he entered politics.

But, despite the on-topic posts regarding MF and PC and other features, this is not a forum for political pants-pissing.

Put a sock in it.

(Josh, can we get State College Boat-Wrestling socks?)
jfruh
Site Admin

# Concerned Citizen says:
November 7th, 2006 at 5:58 pm e

Oh, my mistake. I thought you were refering to a proven fact and not rumor.
jfruh
Site Admin

Postby jfruh » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:14 pm

# Red Greenback says:
November 7th, 2006 at 6:11 pm e

Lord Love a Duck, ask any PRESENT KKK member how they’re voting. Sorry Josh, way too many posts to get political, but SHEESH!!!
jfruh
Site Admin

Re: Moved from "Vote early, vote often"

Postby Mooncity » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:25 pm

jfruh wrote:# DuckLovinUSA says:
November 7th, 2006 at 12:44 pm
Or who can forget, “they are going to rig the new electronic voting machines to favor the GOP.”

I'm not so sure that this wouldn't be so hard to do. Frankly, I don't trust the electronic voting simply because it would be far easier to manipulate the electronic vote count one way or the other than with paper ballots... and there's no "paper trail," so to speak.

Fact is, the GOP is rather unpopular right now, and due for a backlash from the electorate. There's still a lot of bad feeling from the last election, Bush's handling of the war, questions about Halliburton, huge profits for big oil, the right wing questioning the patriotism of anyone who disagrees with them, etc., to ignore. Frankly, given the current political climate, if the Republicans have a big sweep this year you can bet a "fix" is almost certainly how they got it.

Wouldn't be the first time (2000, 2002, 2004...).
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow since 1976!
Mooncity

Re: Moved from "Vote early, vote often"

Postby Adam-12 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:31 pm

Mooncity wrote:I'm not so sure that this wouldn't be so hard to do. Frankly, I don't trust the electronic voting simply because it would be far easier to manipulate the electronic vote count one way or the other than with paper ballots... and there's no "paper trail," so to speak.

So I walked into my polling station early this afternoon on my way to work. After exchanging pleasantries with the octagenarian poll workers ["How are you today, sir?" "Oh just fine ma'am, and you?" "Eh?" "JUST FINE MA'AM, HOW ARE YOU?" "Oh no, I had my shot last month, so I hope I don't get the flu." I'm not calling her old, all I know is that she was wearing a button that read "Teddy in '12" but then I digress...] I asked the nice lady "so, how are the new machines working?"

"Oh just fine, no problems" she replied, then motioned to the machine she had just led me to. "Well, this one was acting up a little, but it's my problem. Nothing for you to worry about." Didn't that inspire confidence in my electoral process!

I'm not so sure my vote actually was registered. I mean, I made sure Ms. Pac-man ate all the little dots and it said I got "High Score" so I think it worked, but I left with a little uneasy feeling. All I know is I miss the old lever machines. There was something tangible and satisfying about yanking down the lever [insert masturbation joke here] and hearing the whirr and click of the machine. You knew it was doing something, even if you didn't know what. I don't know why the rest of the country had to suffer because of Florida [I'm looking at you, Beasley! ;) ].
Ohhh, no, no. Whiskey is not for kitty.
Adam-12

Postby dimestore lipstick » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Adam-12, Mooncity--
Have you seen the documentary Hacking Democracy? I watched this last evening, and it kept me awake half the night. It terrified me, both as a software tester, and as an American.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/hackin ... index.html
"I'm sure they will also enjoy the bribe money you plan to give them!"
~ Doc, Mark Trail
dimestore lipstick

Postby Mooncity » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:07 pm

I've heard about it, but haven't seen it yet. It would probably just make me mad.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow since 1976!
Mooncity

Return to The Cockpit