The Comics Curmudgeon Community • View topic - Rednecks, Hillbillies, and White Trash

Rednecks, Hillbillies, and White Trash

All the fights that start in the comments on the main site will get moved here. If you wanna see folks go at it, grab some popcorn!

Postby Islamorada Girl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:52 pm

I think it's interesting that stockcar/Nascar started with some good old boys who used to run moonshine from the hills of North Carolina to the cities, driving these old heaps they'd souped up to outrun the law. They were known for fast, elusive and skilled driving .

That's how legendary Junior Johnson got started. I think a lot of those old boys would look at these Nascar drivers and say a bad word.
You better give me that meatball!
Islamorada Girl

Postby gnome de blog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 pm

Islamorada Girl wrote:I think a lot of those old boys would look at these Nascar drivers and say a bad word.

Yeah, but I bet a lot of those ole boys, Junior included, would sign the contract and take the money in a heartbeat.
"Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Brownest." - Lucy Van Pelt
gnome de blog

Postby Mooncity » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:01 pm

True story. Last week or so President Bush gave an official pardon for a guy who was wanted for moonshinin' years ago. He's one of the locals who had a bit part in "Deliverance" (early in the film, he's the one who says something about the river being the biggest one in that area, and was NOT one of the Ned Beatty attackers).

Dunno why I put that here. Just thought you should know.

I'm just sayin'...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow since 1976!
Mooncity

Postby MotoMike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:57 am

DA says: "I'm a redneck, btw; a redneck who ...", etc. ... and there was some earlier discussion of "what is a redneck". DA, what defines a redneck - that is, if we met, what would you look for to know that I'm not, and if you met a guy I work with how would you know he is, and if you met a friend of mine who thinks he is, how would you know he's not? I know that "working-class" seems to be part of the mix, and possibly some other things you mention in your original post. A related question - given that there is some pejorative connotation associated with the term in, at least, some people's minds, what (positive or admirable things) do you see about being a redneck that would make you want to describe yourself as one?
The reason I'm asking is that my friend I mentioned above that thinks that he is a redneck is a post-graduate-educated, non-drinking, widely traveled, non-religious in any way, libertarian-leaning, Bush-disliking, non-homophobic, etc, etc. person. I.e., there's is nothing about him that one would think "this guy's a redneck" - he would never watch or go to a NASCAR event, and if served barbecue, would rather describe it than eat it. Well, he does own a single, registered handgun. But I am baffled by his insistence that he has more in common with the redneck people he works with (in a computer facility?) than the "liberal elite" that "run the country" - and says he really has a "redneck mentality". So I'm curious as to what this is, because, as you note, there's not exactly a marked gene or predictable behavior or set of habits that make this quality apparent from the outside.
MotoMike

Postby mary » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 am

It's always interesting to see who is "fair game' as far scapegoating and lampooning. In the past it's been those without social power or money. Now it seems the opposite is true. I think it's human nature to pick a group we can feel superior to. It starts in high school. Jocks, Nerds,Stoners, Preps (and then there was me). People who profess to be without prejudice often defend themselves by claiming moral supiority over their detractors. Which is also a form of prejudice and scapegoating.
Oh My God! That bowling ball - -It's my wife!
mary

Postby Islamorada Girl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:41 pm

I feel superior to the current administration.

And MotoMike's friend is a Good Ol'Boy, which is different from being a redneck. I can't tell you how; you just have to grow up beneath the Mason-Dixon line to understand it.
You better give me that meatball!
Islamorada Girl

REDNECK?

Postby mary » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:46 am

People are getting was too defensive/proud about the lable REDNECK.

I think the term comes from people working in the fields all day long.
As someone who has picked tobacco and cukes I think I might qualify.
My question is, am I really a redneck.
I wear my husband's T shirts and long johns to get the morning paper.
I will drink a can of Bud in my front yard.
I don't pretend to like shusi.
I occasionally find good stuff in other people's trash.
My kids have never been enrolled in a "play group"
I also have a BA in soc.
Do volunteer work
make the best couqilles st jacques ever.
Am I a Redneck? Maybe
Oh My God! That bowling ball - -It's my wife!
mary

Postby gnome de blog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:24 pm

You can't be a redneck if you have clean fingernails.
"Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Brownest." - Lucy Van Pelt
gnome de blog

Previous

Return to The Cockpit