The Comics Curmudgeon Community • View topic - Maybe BC is right

Maybe BC is right

All the fights that start in the comments on the main site will get moved here. If you wanna see folks go at it, grab some popcorn!

Maybe BC is right

Postby Hogenmogen » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:37 pm

Seriously, there is a creationist museum that just opened here in Kentucky. Why just Kentucky? Why can't your state be blessed with such a fine centerpiece upon which all the neocons can proudly announce to the world their proud piety (demonstrating pride and showing off your worship with swagger is a sin in itself, but irony is truly lost on those blinded by the right)? Because nowhere but Kentucky (and the possible exception of West Virginia - but WV lacks the $27 million dollars in donations to build this fantasyland for the religious hard line) would you ever get an op-ed piece that includes the following (and I am not making this up:

When reading the article on the anti-evolution museum, I came across a statement that said the dinosaurs were with Noah on the Ark. My view is that the dinosaurs were too large to fit on the boat, so when the world flooded, they drowned and their remains became fossilized.

I might be mistaken, but I'm taking the writer's intent to be serious, and not completely facetious. Bonkers, yes, but most crazy people don't know that they're nuts. You might think that there's no way someone could rationally think this way - but someone - a lot of someones - gave enough money to build a creationist museum. You also don't read all the ignorant redneck bile printed in the Op-Eds here in Kenutcky, either. Judge for yourself, but bear in mind that Snuffy Smiff is a Kentucky native:
http://www.kentucky.com/595/story/32904.html
Hogenmogen

Postby .Doc » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:01 am

I am a Creationist. I believe that God created everything. He created the world in six days. However, each of those days must have been untold millions of years long, by today's way of reckoning time. I also believe that God created evolution, which ultimately resulted in us. So what's the problem with this creationism thingy?
.Doc

Postby Some Guy Here » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:44 am

.Doc wrote:So what's the problem with this creationism thingy?

http://www.creationtheory.org/

A word of caution: this page is written very much from the perspective of an atheist, and is intentionally written to offend. But, I am saying that he does present some valid points.
Thank God for Culture Clash - Darrin Bell
Because remember, it’s OK to include a lovingly detailed drawing of a teenage girl in a bikini in the comics, as long as you call her a tramp - Fruhmeister himself
psychologyofwriting.forumotion.com friend's site
Some Guy Here

Postby .Doc » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Some Guy Here wrote:
.Doc wrote:So what's the problem with this creationism thingy?

http://www.creationtheory.org/

A word of caution: this page is written very much from the perspective of an atheist, and is intentionally written to offend. But, I am saying that he does present some valid points.

Yeah, the guy's an atheist, but atheism happens, it's a real thing in this world, and it's all part of the overall human experience. The guy seems pretty reasonable in his general tone, however, and apart from the occasional snark on "religious zealots," (with which I actually agree, since I'm a religious non-zealot!) I found his site quite informative.

Yes, I do believe that God created everything, but what He created were the natural physical processes through which our universe emerged and life evolved. An "intelligent design," as it were. Believe me, I have Fundamentalists in my own circle of friends, and they are definitely no picnic to engage in the "creationism" argument. Personally, I have faith, not religion. Faith is an innate belief in God -- religion is a man-made concept based on man-made writings. I do believe in Jesus Christ, and that he was a real person who walked this planet. As an act of faith, I believe that He is the Son of God. However, when reading Genesis, I am smart enough to know that the term "day" is a simple metaphor, and each of those days, as I stated before, could have been millions of years long by our way of reckoning time.
.Doc

Return to The Cockpit